Beginning with Excel 2007, the Sorting Commands gained several new features and became much more powerful. For example, you are no longer limited to three levels of sorting. You can sort using as many levels as you need. In addition, you can now sort by Cell or Font Colors and also sort using the new Cell Icons.
While I was training one of my clients last week, several questions about sorting came up. So, in this video I will demonstrate several of the new features as well as showing you how to take advantage of many sorting options that have been around for some time. For example, using a Horizontal Sort to quickly rearrange the order of your columns!
Sorting Options on Video Tutorial
Here are the sorting options that I demonstrate on my video:
- Sort on Values using a Custom List
- First, I use a built-in custom list (Months of the Year).
- Next, I demonstrate how to create a custom list that you can use with AutoFill and also with custom sorting.
- Sort data based upon Cell Icon
- Cell Icons were introduced in Excel 2007 as part of the major upgrade to Conditional Formatting.
- Sort Horizontally to quickly rearrange the order of your columns (fields) in your data set.
- This feature has been available for many years. However, in my experience, very few people are aware of its existence.
- Once you learn this technique, you can stop the tedious task process of Insert Column, Cut Column, Paste Column, Delete Column, etc.
Shop for Excel Training Resources
I invite you to visit my secure online shopping website – http://shop.thecompanyrocks.com - where I offer a range of video training resources for all of the Microsoft Office Programs.
Watch My Video in High Definition
Follow this link to watch my video in High Definition on my YouTube Channel – DannyRocksExcels